The Bill That Made Me Finally Ask
I don't usually look closely at the usage chart on my electricity bill. I look at the total, wince, and pay it. But this month I actually scrolled down and saw the trend, and May stood out right away.

268 kWh in May — the highest of the six months on the chart.
It's not hard to guess why. The afternoons got hotter, the air conditioning ran longer, and nobody in the house was going to suggest we just sweat it out.
So instead of guessing at fixes, I opened ChatGPT and typed something close to this: "My electricity bill went up to 268 kWh this month, mostly from air conditioning in a home with two kids. What actually reduces this, ranked by how much it helps?" I wanted to cut my electricity bill without turning the house into a sauna, and I wanted answers I could actually act on this week, not vague advice like "use less power."
The Window Fix That Actually Made Sense
The suggestion that surprised me was the simplest one: block the heat before it gets in, not after. I'd already stuck a dark heat-blocking film on our west-facing window, mostly to stop the afternoon glare. It turns out that was doing more work than I realized.
Solar window film works by reflecting or absorbing sunlight before it turns into heat inside the room. Independent reviews put real numbers on it, and the range is honestly wide:
Less heat getting in means the air conditioner runs fewer hours to reach the same temperature.
I can't tell you my exact number yet. My May bill is the highest one on the chart, which makes sense since the film went up partway through the month, and air conditioning savings show up over the following billing cycle, not instantly. What I can tell you is that this is one of the few fixes that costs a one-time amount instead of becoming a new monthly habit, which is exactly the kind of change a busy house actually keeps up with. It's the one change out of all three I'd point to first if someone asked me the fastest way to cut my electricity bill.
Small Habits ChatGPT Flagged That I'd Been Ignoring
The rest of the list was less exciting but still useful, mostly because it named things I already half-knew and had been ignoring:
None of these three habits alone would cut my electricity bill by much, but together they were free, which is more than I can say for the window film.
The Tip I Didn't Expect: Comparing Providers
This was the one ChatGPT brought up that I hadn't thought about at all. We're on a plan with Tuas Power Supply, and I'd genuinely never checked whether it was the cheapest option available to us.
Here in Singapore, the Open Electricity Market lets households switch electricity retailers without touching any wiring, since SP Group still runs the actual power grid no matter who bills you. Over a third of households have switched since the market opened, and the potential savings are real but not huge: current plans run around 5 to 7 percent cheaper than the regulated SP tariff, depending on which retailer and plan you pick. The whole process is done online, and supply doesn't change or get interrupted while you switch.
Five to seven percent won't undo a hot month on its own. But stacked on top of using less electricity in the first place, it's a savings that costs nothing but ten minutes of comparing plans, and unlike the window film, there's no upfront cost at all.
What I'm Actually Doing Next
I'm not going to pretend this experiment is finished:
None of that is dramatic, and that's kind of the point — most real ways to cut my electricity bill turned out to be small and unglamorous, not one big trick.
What changed is that I'm not guessing anymore. Instead of vaguely hoping to cut my electricity bill by using less power in general, I've got three specific things running at once, and next month's chart will actually tell me which ones mattered. I'll take a boring, honest number I can trust over a big claim I can't back up.
